Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Camping on Long Lake


The past couple of days have been challenging with Irene’s impact still being felt on my ride. First, let me backtrack a bit.
I left Ellsworth on Friday morning and expected to make it to Brunswick by evening. I knew the ride was long, but drastically underestimated the 112 mi and at sunset on Friday evening called it quits at a church in Waldosboro, about 50 mi outside of my original goal. I woke up to the thickest fog I have witnessed yet, made breakfast, and set out to the safety of Bill and Heather Higbee’s estate. I was amazed at the luxury of their home upon arrival and was so thankful to have connected with them along the way. Their hospitality was beyond what I have experienced and Heather’s cooking was delightful. Upon arrival I witnessed a performance of the Blue Angels for the first time. Their acrobatic airshow was amazing with flyby’s so close to the house that I could nearly feel the air being displaced by the jet engines.  
Hurricane Irene made landfall on Sunday morning and led me to lengthen my stay with the Higbee’s for one more evening. I left Brunswick on Monday morning and set out for Bridgton. The weather was stellar, 75 degrees with a slight breeze, and a few, small, scattered clouds. The day’s route was mostly farmland with road winding occasionally through forested suburban communities. It was apparent that Irene had devastated local towns with large fields of corn blown sideways, rivers that were above the banks, and trees which leaned on power lines. Fortunately, nothing too serious had affected the route, as of yet.
I arrived at a campground that a woman in Bridgton recommended called Lakeside Pines, one of the classiest campsites I have ever been to. They have laundry equipment, showers, recreation areas, boating docks, and full RV hook-ups. I pitched my tent and soon made friends with fellow campers and neighbors Jen and Judy, who generously helped me by lending me a lighter. Note to self, get a reliable lighter. After showering and eating a pizza dinner, I sat and chatted with Jen and Judy for most of the evening. They notified me that the Kancamagus Highway is the only route through the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It is currently closed due to flood damages.
At about 10pm, I called it a night, and made my way through the trees to my campsite. It was pitch-black and I was without a flashlight, so I blindly approached the outline of my small backpacking tent. The hairs on my neck stood on end when I witnessed something about the size of a schnauzer eating my food. I ran back to Jen who brought with her a flashlight. It turned out to be a skunk enjoying my avocado. Note to self, put food away. Several times during the night, Pepe le Pew scurried around my tent, scratching at the sides, trying to get in. I gripped my pepper spray, and thought of the irony if I unleashed my mace on the skunk. Lucky for him, he left after I yelled.
Needless to say it was a long night. I slept in and decided to take the day off to finish my medical school application and determine a new route (and mostly because this campsite is perfect). All in all, I’m happy where I am at and I look forward to a long century ride in the morning. Wish me luck.

1 comment: