Sunday, October 9, 2011

Crazy Weather and Kind People


Kansas has been in an epic drought. On Wednesday, upon leaving Wichita, there were winds from the south, southeast between 40 and 50 mph. They were at my back for 40 miles which caused my average pace to be about 25mph. Once I reached Nickerson, I headed due west, which meant I had a nasty crosswind that made for a squirrely ride. At points, my bike and I were tilted into the wind so steeply that, had the gusts suddenly stopped, I would have fallen over. The lack of moisture in the soil allowed the wind to stir up a large amount of dust. I decided that it would be best to tie my shirt around my face to act as a barrier to the particulates in the air.

In two days, I made it roughly 170 miles from Wichita and stopped in Ness City, Kansas. I ate an authentic Mexican dinner consisting of a huge green burrito filled with juicy chicken and topped with melted cheese. To put the icing on the cake, I had a Corona with lime, which transported me to the warm summer days spent on the beaches in Rocky Point. I chatted with a nice couple who also cycled in their free time. We spent most of the dinner talking about Kansas and my bike ride. When they left, I shook their hand and they wished me luck. I stayed and made phone calls and took the opportunity to charge my cell phone. At about 6:30pm, I decided it was time to set up camp, so I made my way to the cashier to pay my bill. They turned me away from the register, saying that my bill had been paid. THANK YOU!! …another instance of the thoughtful and kind people along my route.
 
I camped at the city park and called my mom several times to confirm that the tornado warnings in Kansas were not in my particular area. She said that they were not, but that I should expect severe thunderstorms between 4am and 8am. This prediction of the NWS was accurate; I was rudely awakened by an intense electrical storm that sent bolts of lightning so close that immediately after witnessing the flash I felt the thunder. I took the day off since predictions stated that hail was a significant possibility. I am getting close to the Colorado border, and plan to cross tomorrow.

As of now, I just got out of the jacuzzi of the Best Western in Scott City thanks to my grandpa! I showered, did laundry, ate pasta from Pizza Hut, and even watched some TV. Tomorrow I am going to push for Lamar, CO which is 120 miles but the weather looks good and I feel awesome. 

Justin

1 comment:

  1. Justin:
    We were so glad that you made through the storms in Ness City and made it to Scott City safely! We so enjoyed our visit at the Mexican Restaurant! We plan to follow you throughout your journey! We wish you good luck through Colorado and the mountains! I'm sure you will run into snow! Safe Travels!
    Sincerely,
    Jim & Lori Foster

    ReplyDelete