Sunday, October 16, 2011

I ride in the shadows of the Rockies

“Mind strong, body strong, try to find equilibrium, head straight, screwed on…”

I have spent the last few days in Colorado Springs knowing that I have miles of climbing just hours to the west. I am now on the west coast, on mountain time, where I can taste the finish line. It’s funny how crossing an arbitrary boundary can elicit such disbelief from those of you who track the ride; or how it brings my simmering feelings of hope and happiness to a boil. The Springs were a reprieve, lending both mental and physical recuperation from a stretch of high miles faced on the flatlands.


I was able to really experience the town thanks to Sarah, a friend I made in Wichita while staying with Megheen and Clint. We bouldered in The Garden of the Gods and then stopped in Manatou for Mexican Food. 



After lunch we hit the arcade, which sported games from all eras, including pinball, penny games, and my favorite, PacMan. I even got the high score on Ms. PacMan -- Mom, you aint got nuthin’ on me. 

Sarah's roommates were awesome. It was nice to chill, listen to music, and learn to play Settlers of Cattan. I'd have to say though, Figaro was the coolest cat of all. I'll miss you bro, until next time.


Leaving Colorado Springs was like leaving a cozy, warm bed on early on an icy morning. After running a few errands, Sarah and I made it to Nick's bike shop in Pueblo where Nick, the bike god himself, cleaned and maintained my grimy bike. Another awesome surprise... I received a care package from Bruce, at Fair Wheel Bicycles in Tucson, Arizona which was the most epic assortment of cycling supplies ever.


Thank you all. I'd love to stay and write some more, but as the favorite quote of my old friend goes....

“The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep”


No comments:

Post a Comment