Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sunshine in Ohio

I’m writing from my dinner table at Ronetti’s Pizza in London, Ohio where my legs are a bit worn, my face is a bit sunburned, my back is a bit tight, but thanks to my epic appetite, I still have quite a bit of energy.

Let me take you back a couple of days. After a 10 day stretch of riding from Lake Placid, NY to Akron, OH, my body was aching and my drive was slightly diminished. Luckily, my Uncle Bill and Aunt Maxine invited me over for a rest day at their home near the old Goodyear tire factory in Akron. Their hospitality was amazing! It was great just getting a chance to rest my legs which my aunt described as looking like those of a “football player.” At least she didn't describe them as cute or feminine considering their lack of hair.  I was craving a milkshake and so, after a fried chicken dinner, I drank 32 ounces of the richest, most delicious, vanilla milkshake I have ever had. Good thing I was sleeping alone tonight, since lactose doesn’t really cooperate with me so much.  The next morning, my zero day, I looked outside at the frigid rain pouring from the ominous, gray sky which looked all too familiar. No peeing on my feet today!

I laid around and listened to the stories about the old days, where my aunt and uncle described how much things have changed since they were young. After going to a Greek festival, I soaked my body in a hot bath and went to sleep. Refreshed, I hit the road the following morning.

Today started cloudy in Fredericktown, OH. My campsite, which was actually the east side of a community baseball park, was located just behind the home team’s dugout, neighboring a small river. I awoke to the sound of crow’s high pitch laughter high in the trees, at about 8:30 AM. I packed my camp and headed to a local diner. I ate French toast, a ham and cheese omelet, and hash browns. After paying for my ticket, I started talking with a local woman who was interested in my ride. She asked about the cause and logistics of the ride and I answered her questions. After the conversation ended, I collected my phone and computer from the table and headed for my bike. I was intercepted by the same local, who handed me $20 and told me that she wanted to help out in some way. It’s funny, many people who hear about my ride and my constant interactions with strangers shake their heads. They say, I can’t believe you trust people so much. Good news, like generosity, is typically not represented in the media.

To those selfless, kind people who have helped so much in my journey by giving me a place to stay, sometimes even when I was a complete stranger. Thank you.


Dave and Lauren (Ellsworth, ME)


Bill and Heather (Brunswick, ME)

 Jen and Judy (Bridgton, ME) - (Judy too scared to be photographed)

 Doug and Robin (Hanover, NH)

 Dawn (Lake Placid, NY)

Jerry and Terri (Boonville, NY)

Mary and Charles (Oswego, NY)

Eric and Jennifer (Medina, NY)

Steven and Kim (Angola, NY)

Uncle Bill and Aunt Maxine (Akron, OH)


 Tom and Jackie (Evendale, OH)
Now I must be going, but how about some soft-serve at McDonalds?

Justin

1 comment:

  1. It was awesome to meet you today! Hope your trip is going well!

    I wrote a bit on my blog about our ride today and you were mentioned in it, of course, because meeting you was rad!
    http://gemcitytiffany.livejournal.com/823382.html

    ReplyDelete