Thursday, September 22, 2011

Indiana Mauser... Raider of the Lost Campsite


Events of the past couple of days

*On Sunday (my birthday), I met a nice man named Tom on the bike path near Xenia, OH. After a short conversation, he invited me to stay at his place near Cincinnati, OH.

* Jackie (Tom’s wife) prepared Tom and I an epic and delicious homemade pasta dinner. She surprised me with lemon cake with a Funfetti-like frosting. [in tone of Lil Jon] YYYYYEEEH.

*We noticed that my back tire, a Specialized Armadillo model, was worn to the wire beads which I suppose this is due to my heavy rear. On account of this and the inclement weather, I stayed Monday night as well.

 *Rode from Tom’s house to a desserted Church camp in Bryantsburg, IN where I was caught by nightfall and slightly rainy weather. No water, no electricity, no people…  Just me and my tent and slight ill-at-ease due to the zombie-pocolypse feel of my campground. Several buildings had open doors and even furniture within the walls of peeling paint with absolutely no sign of life.

*Ran out of water by morning and made a 10 mile ride to Madison, IN praying for a restaurant. I found Subway. More rain was on the way so I camped for about 3 hours where I charged my phone, ate 4 cookies and 1.5 feet of sub, drank a cup of coffee, and made friends with the employees.

*Manager gave me a $10 gift card. Score!

*Thanks to a caffeine high, I rode 65 miles in the second half of the day. I even drafted off of a horse drawn Amish carriage which on several occasions dropped turd-mines that threatened to end me. I averted a steaming disaster and gave the amish boy a thumbs up when he looked back.

*Found a Co-Op in Paoli, IN that was about to close but the owner let me in. I was starving. I bought a quart of whole milk, 1/2 pound of dried pineapple, 1/4 pound of dried banana, an apple, 4 bananas, a root beer, half a gallon of orange juice, a gluten free sandwich, and 1/2 pound of egg salad. I think that is it.

*Camped at a public park. I’m such a rebel.

*Woke up to meowing cat. I meowed back. Ate breakfast… he didn’t like apples or peanut butter.  

*I had a headache and an upset stomach upon leaving Paoli. I rode through French Lick, whose name itself raised my spirits slightly. I know the difference between kissing and French kissing but I'm curious to know the difference be licking and French licking.
*With poor weather on the horizon and a desperate need for a shower, I checked into a Days Inn in Jasper, IN.
*Showered for the first time in 3 days. Ripe. Ate dinner at a German restaurant called Schnitzelbank. Cleaned my clothes and relaxed.
*Continental breakfast tomorrow from 6-9am complete with waffle press. Count me in.
 Justin

1 comment: